July 5, 2011

Cork Trivet

This was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.
This is what you will need:
1. Corks (this one took 45)
2. Wooden 8X10 frame with at least a 1 1/2 inch width. I got mine on sale at Hobby Lobby.
3. Scissors
4. Hot glue gun (I recommend using wood glue instead)
5. Cork Backing (I used a place-mat from Ikea)

I first planned out where all the corks were going to go. Mine fit perfectly but you may need to cut some down or trade some out to make them all fit snug. 
I put glue on the cork itself but through the process they just weren't sticking like they should so I started to use wood glue on the actual frame. If I had it to do over again I probably would have glued a cork place-mat under the corks to make it look a little more finished out. You would probably only need one place-mat to do the whole project front and back. 

After gluing them all down and waiting until the next day...(wood glue takes forever) I took the back support lever (whatever that is called) to make the back smooth to glue the cork place-mat on. I did this so it wouldn't look like a frame anymore and so it wouldn't skid across the counter top. 

Then I cut the cork place-mat to fit the back of the frame. 

I glued that on the back and let it dry and I was finished. This project took me a good hour. I have never done it before so I am thinking with experience it will go faster and look a lot better next time. :) 
I hope this helps you with yours. Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated if you have any. 





No comments:

Post a Comment