March 21, 2012

Fabric Picture Frame

Hello, 
Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. ........if anyone is reading this. lol
I am nine months pregnant now and have been so busy but that doesn't mean I haven't been doing projects or thinking about posts to put on here. :)
I have a project I did last week all ready for you. 

Before                                                 After


I Bought these two frames from Khols a few years ago and was tired of the pictures. I loved the frames though so I wanted to upcycle them. I finally decided I wanted a fabric matte and to be able to put some black and white pictures in them to hang in our bedroom. 
So this is how I went about doing it......after a bit of trial and error, I might add. 

I removed the backing from the frame and penciled out a template where I would need to cut the fabric. 
That was the easy part. The hard part is cutting the fabric. Make sure you cut outside the line to allow for the extra fabric to be folded behind the matte. I made this mistake and have a few little booboos on my first one. cut a few incisions in to the corners so that they will fold flat. 

I just used a regular glue,  I tried to use a more industrial glue but it just wasn't working. Work fast and spread it lightly across the matte so it doesn't seep through the fabric. 

It doesn't look very pretty yet but it will. :)
Lay out the fabric over the glue and make sure the fabric is stretched out and there are no wrinkles. You will need to fold the excess fabric to the back and I actually used tape to secure it in the back. 

It doesn't look very good from the back but on the other side it looks great! I didn't put the back panel on my frame because I wanted to be able to change out my pictures easily. I hope the tutorial wasn't too sparse. 
If you have any questions feel free to comment. I hope to have some other projects finished soon. 
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment