August 28, 2012

Family Photos

I've been given the task of going through all our family photos and scanning them. I have already scanned my grandmother's black and white pictures, which I have to say was a lot of fun. I put them all on CD's for my Aunts and Uncles so now everyone has a copy of them. I also made a twenty minute video of the best ones so that my family could watch them as well. This digital age sure is wonderful. It's nice to be able to preserve your family's history. Have I mentioned Ancestry.com? LOVE! I am totally hooked to that website. I have made a lot of headway on my tree and found a few interesting things. A BIG THANKS to my friend Cindy who taught me how to utilize the information on there. She really should do a blog about how to research Ancestry. (*Wink Wink ;) If she ever does I will post a link, it really is very interesting and enlightening. If not, I will try my best to post something about it. But for now, I thought I'd share how I am storing my photo's and what scanner I am using to do all this wonderful stuff.
My father in-law happened to want a photo scanner for their photo's and he let's me use his. I know I'm a lucky girl.
He bought this scanner from Fry's Electronics but it is available on Amazon for a more reasonable price.
It's so easy and you don't even need a computer to do it. It stores all your scans on a memory card and then when you're done you just plug it in to your computer. How wonderful is that? I think I scanned over 900 photo's in two days with this thing. But it can only scan small 4x6 pictures.

This is a sample of one of the pictures I scanned. The original looks exactly like this.
(That's my grandmother)

I used the Windows Live Movie Maker that was already on my laptop to make a movie with the pictures. It's so so easy to make a video on there. We just chose some nice music already on our computer and you can edit it anyway you want, you can even have credits at the end. ha. 
Here is a Link where you can download it for free but do so at your own risk. I do no not know the validity of that website. 

Now on to my own photo's:
I recently went to Ikea and found these:

It shows as a 3 pack but I only bought one clear one. It's perfect for different size pictures. I do have to note that the lid doesn't snap close. It just lays on top, that is fine for my needs but it might bother some. 

And here it is: 


I still have a whole shoe-box full of pictures that need to be scanned but these are all ready to be stored. 
I hope this has helped to give you some ideas on how you can organize your family photo's and get them out of those old shoe-boxes. 

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment