September 26, 2012

Mission Organization

I have been trying for some time now to figure out our movie and toy storage problem. Now that I have two children I no longer have an extra bedroom to store things in. Before we had kids my husband and I built up a collection of DVD's.....over 700. Yea, we like our movies. We used to display them like this:
Gosh, that was at our old apartment when we were first married. Anyway, when we moved in to our new house we had an extra bedroom we could put these shelving units in. When I found out I was pregnant with our little boy I knew something had to be done with our DVD's. At first I started buying DVD binders:
I found a great one at a Half Price Books that stored close to 300....or maybe it's 400. Either way, it's huge and bulky and not fun to look through but we bought it. 
I put most of our DVD's in that, but I didn't want to throw away the cases so they are stored in a plastic container in our hall closet...which I need to do something about. I did want to keep the DVD's we watch the most somewhere more accessible. I decided to put them in our Buffet. 
My daughter loves to pick out what movie she wants to watch. But I hated that all those DVD's took up like 6 drawers of the 9 we have, so I thought about an alternative. And here it is:
This is our TV Stand we bought from Ikea.  It was exactly what I was looking for. I put the DVD's in These beautiful blue boxes which happen to match my living room perfectly. They do have one in a cream color too. I love it because they have handles and are lined on the inside with a cute check print. You can also label them on the front, which I haven't done yet. 
Now my daughter has the DVD's at her level and it's even easier for us to get them out and it looks so nice. This would have been wasted space really, and I am just glad that I have been able to free up 2 drawers in my buffet. 
I store my daughters books in the canvas/linen container so she can pull them out and it's an easy clean up and I have so many magazine subscriptions that I wanted them handy but off the tables so I put them in this wire basket. I love how it turned out. 
Well, maybe this gave you a few ideas or tips on how you can store your items. If you have any ideas please comment below, I would love to hear from you. 

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment