March 25, 2013

Chalkboard Countertops Update!



Did you seal the counter-tops after you painted them with the chalkboard paint? 

No, I didn't seal them. I was afraid if I did, I wouldn't be able to actually use them as a chalkboard. I am glad I didn't too. I think it would have left it glossy. 

Are the chalkboard counters food safe? 

If you are concerned with your counters being food safe  I recommend Ecos Paints chalkboard paint. It is 100% non toxic, VOC free & allergy safe. I also contacted the company and they said it IS food safe. I however, did not paint my counters with this paint because I don't cut or eat food off of my counters. All of my food goes from pan or cutting board to plate. Do what you feel is right for your family. 

Does this mimic oiled soapstone? 

In my opinion, yes. That was the look I was going for when I painted them. It doesn't have any of the marbling that soapstone can have but it does have the same texture. 

How do you clean the countertops and is it easy?

It's super easy! I just use Clorox disinfectant wipes, you could also use a washcloth with soap or even a scrub brush with bristles. I would steer clear of steel wool though. The counter-tops are susceptible to scratching. Which leads to the next question.......

How have they held up? 

It's been about two years and they are still going strong. Like I said in the answer above they can get scratches on them. I've also come across a few weird instances where I have left a paper box or magazine in the same place for a few months and it has adhered to the surface a bit. Here are a few pictures of what I am talking about:

This is where we put our bags, purses, mail, shoes, Cd's & keys. So it's really our dump area when we come in the door. It's a highly used space. We are pretty rough on this area. I think it's done well by the amount of abuse it has taken. 

This is the space of the countertop where I left a paper box for a few months (box of pictures to scan. It took me forever to do that project).
It's actually our bar area, not really our kitchen. It's a very small spot, though it doesn't look that small from the picture. I would say about 6 cm, if that. This is the worst I've come across with the chalkboard paint. I just painted over it and it's gone now. :)

These are a few scuffs from the kitchen near our microwave. 

A scratch near the sink. 

I do have to say that since it is black it shows dust. I have to keep the counter-tops wiped down.I'm always wiping them anyway so I don't consider it to be more upkeep than regular counters. 
As you can see from above, there are a few places that need touching up. I just take out my trusty quart of chalkboard paint and touch it up, good as new! I have not needed to repaint the whole countertop, only paint where it is needed. 

I love my kitchen. The counters still look amazing. 

Grocery Lists , write it down right on the counter. 
Message to the husband. 


I honestly have only touched up my counters twice since I first painted them.... once a year. I don't think that's bad at all. For the price, and the overall look of these countertops I would do this a hundred times over. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't love the look of it. It's so fun to write my grocery list down where everyone can see it and also messages to my husband and holiday greetings! If you have laminate counters and you hate them, I say paint them with chalkboard paint!!



Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. you said in your original post you used black counter top paint from Lowes. do you remember the brand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn! I used Rust-Oleum Satin Black countertop paint. The link to the paint is in my first post on the counters. I tried to post the link here but it didn't work. : /

      Delete
  2. I want to do this to my apt countertops....1970's gold! How does this stand up to water? Since I don't have a dishwasher I have a drainer (I don't leave it on the countertop but it does get wet.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wash dishes water gets everywhere, with that being said......water residue does show on the black counters. However, it does no damage to the paint or counters. You simply wipe it up like any countertop. :) I hope that answers your question. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you only use just the chalk board paint? Is there a reason why you used the counter top paint too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, I feel the chalkboard paint won't adhere to the countertops properly without a countertop basecoat. I believe it makes it more durable. I personally wouldn't risk only painting with the chalkboard paint on the counters.

      Delete
  5. Im wondering the same thing is it necessary to use the undercoat of rustoleum?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw these on Hometalk...beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've used rustoleom, adhered beautifully, conditioned with chalk ♡♡♡ the results

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful! I'm so glad you like the results.

      Delete
  8. I love this so much! I going to do this to my counters also. Did you pull out all of your appliances before you painted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley, no I didn't need to remove any of the appliances. I just used painters tape around my gas stove. It's a really easy paint project. So glad to hear your are wanting to do this in your house. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  9. Do you think this would work on tile counters?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does it scratch easily? I used granite paint in my bathrooms before when it peeled off in spots and I reapplied it was uneven. Wondering if it peels off? Are you constantly touching up? Looks good from the pictures. Also did you paint over laminate?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    I was wondering how you removed or kept from getting stroke marks? I did a few coats yesterday on my island and love the look but not the stroke marks...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you have to paint it the black satin first?

    ReplyDelete