April 9, 2013

Kids stuff

I remember going to friends houses where they had a whole living room full of toys. It was the neatest thing. My parents had a converted garage that was our playroom/my Dad's office. When I got older and went over to houses with living rooms full of toys I thought it looked tacky. I decided then I wouldn't be turning my living space in to a playroom. Fast forward to....well, now. I have two children and we have a living room with primary colors on the fireplace and baskets full of toys and books. I wouldn't have it any other way.....I have come up with a few solutions to this problem however that makes it a little more tolerable for grownups.

1. Fireplace trouble!
Yes, our fireplace is covered in foam play tiles. I could not get my son to stop crawling on top of the fireplace. So I had to come up with a solution.....believe me I tried putting ottomans and all sorts of things to block him but it just made it more dangerous so I came to accept he was just going to crawl and sit up there. I tried a blanket and it just would fall off. There are little bumpers you can tack on to your fireplace but my kids would just pull them off. My Mom said...."Hey why don't you wrap the fireplace in those tiles Collin got for Christmas?" Genius! I put them up there, they don't look that great but it's safe and that's all that matters to me. They fit perfectly. Problem solved!

I also got a new fireplace screen that completely covered the opening and wouldn't cave in or fall as easily as the one we used to have. It's backwards, so it won't hurt the children. I purchased it on sale for $35 at Target here is the LINK but it's no longer on sale.


2. Toys everywhere!
I decided if we were going to have toys in our living room they needed to be put away at the end of the day but accessible to the kids. I saw a beautiful woven basket at One King's lane and had to purchase it. It was exactly what I was looking for. This basket holds a ton of toys.



3. So many books!
My daughter loves looking at books and so as a Mom I was overjoyed she liked them so much. I went a bit overboard and bought her every book I liked when I was young and well, it ended up being so much we have books stored in her closet. Her favorites are in the living room stored in a canvas storage bin from Target, I can't find it on the website anymore. It's perfect for our Ikea TV stand.
I used to have a wire basket I put magazines in but that hit the road once my son found them. Now we just have a shelf dedicated to their bigger toys that they like to play with everyday.

4. Annoying toys!
All parents know what I am talking about here.....loud, obnoxious toys that seem to go off at the weirdest time by themselves, like in the middle of the night? I also include those toys that are large and that my kids don't play with everyday. I store all of those in an ottoman (TARGET) in our living room, away from view. This is my favorite type of storage solution. It's all put away and out of sight. I love it. I would like to get a bigger ottoman but that would limit my kids play space and I like them to be able to roll around. I will probably buy one when they get older. I have found the perfect one at TJ Maxx, it's double the size of the one I have now. .....Dreaming......


I hope you found this post useful. I always love seeing storage solutions for kids toys and other items around the house. If you have any ideas you could pass along I would love to hear about them. Leave a comment below. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment