July 15, 2014

Decorative Wood Box

I've been on Pinterest for awhile now and I kept coming across this one picture of a TV console table. If you have been on Pinterest any length of time I'm sure you would have seen it atleast once. It's a very popular pin. What struck me most about this picture was that it was simple, elegant and practical. I know how much of an eyesore a TV can be in a room. This was the complete opposite.



Sarah, or more commonly known as Thrifty Decor Chick did a post about her living room and this was one of the pictures. I immediately fell in love with the wooden box under the TV. This was what my living room was missing. I've wanted to hang my TV for sometime, mainly to keep kids fingerprints off it. But, I just didn't like the look of wires hanging down. This box is the perfect solution. I know I could drill holes in my wall but I am pretty finicky when it comes to keeping furniture in one place. 


I wish I could show you step by step instructions......I can't. My wonderful Father in-law made this for me. He even made it more beautiful than I had imagined. He rounded off corners and made the joints seamless. He even sanded it down for me. All I had to do was stain it. 
When staining the box, I layed on the stain very thick. I only wiped of the excess after it had absorbed most of the stain. I wanted it to be a very dark walnut color. 
Thrifty Decor chick gives great instructions on how she built her box on her blog HERE.
I even used the same stain as she did. I also had to rough up my wood to give it a more rustic look. So here are the pictures of my wood box complete:

It turned out beautifully! It was so stark there before and now with that dark wood box it brings a gorgeous contrast to the space.  

I added moss & straw balls with pears and wine corks as filler. I can't wait for the holidays to roll around. The possibilities with this are endless. I'm thinking candy canes, pumpkins & Easter eggs. 


I know you can still see some wires, we are working on that. ;) 
A BIG THANKS to my Father in-law Richard, for building this for me. As you can see from his work, he is a great carpenter. Maybe one of these days I'll blog about his workshop. It's the most beautiful workshop I have ever seen. It looks like a chalet.
I also want to give a Big thanks to Thrifty Decor Chick for her blessing on this post as well as her inspiration for the project. If you haven't seen her blog, (I don't know how that's possible) please look her up:  Thrifty Decor Chick
As always, 
Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment