October 5, 2014

School Desk Makover


Kelly from Lily Pad Cottage painted a little girl's desk for her daughter's room. I was completely smitten. 
Infact, I was a bit obsessive. I looked for a desk on Craigslist for weeks. 
I finally found one for a good price ($35) and 15 minutes away from my house. I snatched it up and went to Lowes. 

I knew I would need a strong white coat of paint to cover the black on top and blue on the bottom. I also wanted the top of the desk to be glossy and easy to wipe off. 

I purchased theRust-Oleum Satin Enamel Spray in White to coat the whole desk. The Valspar Color Radiance Flat spray paint in Rosy Cheeks. I used the Rust-Oleum Appliance Enamel Spray, White to cover the top of the desk for a glossy sheen.  

Above is after two coats of the white spray paint. 
After using the pink rosy cheeks paint, I decided it was too dark. I looked back on her blog and she had actually used Krylon spray in Ballet Slipper (below). 

Of course for the legs I had to use the Rust-Oleum Metallic Gold Spray paint.

The desk turned out beautifully. My little preschooler loves it. She loves to line her My Little Pony's on her new desk. She can use this a lot as she gets older and it doesn't take up much space. 

She can hide her little treasures inside the desk away from her little brother. :)

I found this small chair at HomeGoods. I plan on making a little cushion for it. I haven't found a pillow small enough for it yet. 
I hope you liked this post. It's always fun to make something functional & pretty. 
Let me know of any girls projects you have completed. Have you found a school desk? 
I would love to hear from you. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment