December 30, 2014

My Starter Home

Since the New Year is all about new starts,  I thought I would reflect a little on our starter home. We've been here six years. Honestly, I thought we would only live here for about 3 years. I've really grown to love my home. Both of my children have been brought home from the hospital to this house. We've literally changed and painted every surface. This was a foreclosure in a wonderful location of town, about a mile away from where I grew up. There were 12 other bids on this house and we won it. Of course when we opened the door after closing, I wondered what we got ourselves in to. I'm a Texas girl so I rolled up my sleeves and went to work immediately!
 Our house in 2008, right after we closed. Overgrown, mismatched blinds and with a front door you could actually see sunlight under. 
 2010, looking much better. Landscape trimmed, brick wall torn down, new blinds and a new front door. 
2014, I finally got my jet black front door! I white washed the whole exterior of the house, it only took me 2 days. My husband painted all the siding a gorgeous grey color. 

As you can see from the outside, our house has changed a lot in the past few years. In 2010, I was going through my earthy phase and now I'm in my Greige period. There are still a lot of things I would like to do to this little home of mine. Some have already been completed and I can't wait to share them with you. 
Others well, take a bit of time but are in the works. There's a wonderful sweet woman who lives behind me that is an original owner. She has told me there is always a neverending list of things to do on your house. I guess to me, that means we are always evolving and changing and so are our homes, with us. It's actually very comforting to me to think my husband and I could be in our house for another 30 or so years. This was always just a starter house but it's become our home. 

“I am excessively fond of a cottage; there is always so much comfort, so much elegance about them. And I protest, if I had any money to spare, I should buy a little land and build one myself, within a short distance of London, where I might drive myself down at any time, and collect a few friends about me and be happy. I advise everybody who is going to build, to build a cottage.” 
― Jane AustenSense and Sensibility

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment