April 10, 2017

Gold Hardware for the Kitchen

I know it's been awhile since I've posted. Sorry about that. But I have good news. My kitchen is done and I can't wait to share all the pics with you. Hopefully, along the way you will get some ideas and some ways to cut corners to save money on your kitchen reno.

We left off last time with changing some elements of our kitchen cabinets. They looked a little too outdated on the bottom with the wave like detail and so my husband and I found some molding to cover it up and make it look more updated.

This time around I'm showing you how you can buy some inexpensive drawer pulls and make them custom.....as in custom color. Now, I loved my silver cup drawer pulls. But, Since I'm using cool paint colors I wanted to warm up the space and have a little pop against the cabinets. So, I wanted sleek bar pulls. Gold bar pulls. The gold or brass.....whatever you want to call it are twice as expensive. So I decided to paint them.
These are the pulls I purchased:

Then, I purchased my paint. That's my favorite part. I actually came up with a better way to paint them as well. I can't wait to show you. But first I had to have a base coat. I knew these pulls would get a lot of wear so I wanted to make sure to paint them correctly. 
I used this base paint:

I used a styrofoam board and toothpicks to raise the handles. I wanted to be able to get all around the handles to paint and this was great. I highly recommend trying this method out. It was so easy to get all around the pulls for an even coat. Here's how they looked after one coat:

 Then I did a coat of my favorite Gold paint.


 Then I finished with a top coat to protect from fingerprints and wear. I was really impressed with this spray paint. 

Oh and did I mention the best invention in spray paint ever? 
Rustoleum Sprayer is the best thing ever. I used to get blisters from using spray cans but not anymore. This little puppy only cost around seven bucks. Totally worth the money if you are a DIY'er. You can get it HERE.
The grip is comfortable and I feel it gives a better constant spray. LOVE. 

We purchased them on Amazon. I won't say they're the greatest but they work. We just used the existing holes on all our cabinets so it was a fairly easy switch out. I'm really happy with how everything turned out. 

So here is a little sneak peek at the kitchen. 

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment