May 1, 2017

Kitchen Cabinet Paint

So excited to do this post. I've been wanting to change the paint on my cabinets for quite some time. I loved the cream but since I have two toddlers their fingerprints show all over the light colored cabinets. I was tired of scrubbing down the doors and drawers. I knew I needed to do with a little bit darker color so it wouldn't show their little fingers. I've been loving grey lately. I'm obsessed. I have a grey couch, pillows, blankets, it's out of control. Anyway, so I decided with grey.

Lately, I haven't been that happy with Home Depot's paint matching abilities. I'm also not that happy with Lowes quality of paint. I decided to go try Benjamin Moore paint. It seems anytime I was on Pinterest and I loved a paint color it was from their line. I Bring you HC-167. Also known as Amherst Grey:
It wasn't too dark or too light. Just right. I love it. I couldn't be more happy with the quality and the true grey color. I bought one gallon of paint. I've painted the front of all the cabinets and I still have some paint left (I hand painted). This stuff is amazing. They also keep a record of the paint you buy so they can help you out if you forget. 
Now before we get ahead of ourselves. Let me tell you how I started on the cabinets. I told they guy at the store I didn't want to have to do multiple coats...including priming them. Now, I sanded, primed and painted my cabinets the first time. The guy at the store said as long as I sand really well then I wouldn't have to do a base coat. Que: Hallelujah!
I just used a simple hand sander like this one:

I sanded down both sides of the cabinets. Then I wiped them all down with a wet washcloth. It was a mess but it worked great. 
See the mess? I keep it real guys. ;)
After I got everything sanded and I mean every corner and crevice. Then everything was wiped clean. I started to paint. That's the fun part. 

I start in the crevices of the cabinet, then the center and then work toward the outer corners. This cabinet, I was painting while it was hung. I was in a bit of a hurry. I didn't do that with all my doors. The other ones I simply painted the back side first. Let it dry over night. Then painted the front side. I did this because if there were any mistakes I wanted them to show on the backside first. I put my cabinets on tin cans to dry. It didn't cost anything since I already had them and it made it easy for transport. I did take a picture of this paint drying technique....but I can't find the pic. :( But, I think you get the idea. 
I used a great brush that the man at Benjamin Moore suggested. I know it made a big difference on how smoothly my paint went on. 

You can buy it on Amazon cheaper than I did in the store HERE
So, after the cabinets were sanded, wiped clean and then painted, my husband put all the cabinets and hardware back up. Let me tell you, I don't know about other bloggers because this is never really covered much but it's hard to put the cabinets back up. It's very difficult to get the doors and the hinges all working properly. Even if you do use the same holes the hardware really fights against you. If you're going through this, you're not alone. You just have to keep on working with it. That's the best advice I can give on that subject. 
All painted and in the middle of putting the cabinets back up. 

 In love with this color. Honestly, I never thought I would have a dark cabinet color in my kitchen but it's warmer and cozy. It's also a lot easier to keep clean and brings more texture in the cabinets. 
You may also notice, I painted my kitchen walls white. More on this to come. ;)

On this last pic you can see how used and scuffed the counters have become. On the next post we will say goodbye to the chalkboard counters!! :0 
I know, I know, but it as never supposed to be forever. It was only a temporary fix. It lasted so much longer than intended but we are moving on. I can't wait to show you my new counters, Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment